• question-icon

What causes discomfort under the left rib cage upon sitting?

Posted on Fri, 21 Jul 2017 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I have some discomfort under my left rib cage . If I'm standing it doesn't bother me but after sitting for a while it gets uncomfortable. It hurts the most if I bend down and lean forward which I do pretty often to carry my dog. Do you think this is serious? We lost our health insurance so I really can't go to my doctor at this time. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possible strained muscle

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking HealthcareMagic,
I read it carefully and I understand your concern.

What you are describing seems like a muscular problem, since it is related to movement. I think you might have strained some muscular fibers in that area, most probably while you were lifting your dog, and it needs its time to heal.

My recommendations are:

- Massage gently with an over the counter analgesic cream, 3-4 times/day.
- Stretch the muscles there gradually some times during the day, so it will not get irritated during the day when you will need to lift your dog.
- If the analgesic cream is not enough, I would suggest taking Tylenol (650mg thrice daily after food for the time being), so it will help with the discomfort and also will relieve the inflammation in that area.

Let me know if worse or not better, so I can advise accordingly.

Dr.Papaqako

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Klarida Papaqako