What causes discomfort labia minora post sex?

Dr. Madhuri N Bagde

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Women's Health
Question: Hi I had sex 3 days ago (same partner for 7 years) and this evening have discomfort due to labia minor swelling. It is focused towards the forchette area. Yesterday I had an upset stomach and sore throat and concerned bacteria has passed to the area. No other symptoms like smelly discharge or itchness. Ant clues?
Answered by Dr. Madhuri N Bagde 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Seems like an inflammation

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

I am Dr Madhuri a Consultant Obstetrician and Gynecologist and will be helping you with your queries.
It seems that you have a infection or inflammation of the labia.

This is not uncommon and is not always a sexually transmitted one. Sometimes trauma due to friction can lead to inflammation.

It is rare for bacteria from sore throat and upset stomach to involve this area. Sometimes unintended and unrecognized trauma like minor scratching in that area may also cause swelling. If there is no discharge or itch then as of now just wait. Use warm compresses and tablets like acetaminophen that help to relieve inflammation twice daily 12 hours apart. Take them with milk as they may lead to increased stomach acidity.

If the swelling decreases in a day or two then there is no need to worry. If it does not, then you will need to see a doctor and may be need some antibiotics in addition to pain killers.

Hope this satisfies your query.
Thanks for using HCM.     
Feel free to ask any more questions that you may have.
Dr Madhuri Bagde
Consultant Obstetrician and Gynecologist