What causes discomfort in vagina post tampon insertion?

Posted on Thu, 11 Jun 2015 in Pregnancy
Question: I am 40 years old and have two children (aged 2 1/2yrs and 4 yrs). Before I had children I used to use tampons all the time. Since I had children I find them very uncomfortable and now hate using them. This isn't an issue most of the time, but is a awkward when I want to go swimming as then I have no choice but to use them. When I put a tampon in it feels as if it is sitting much lower down in my vagina than it should do, and also feels as if it is being pushed out of my body. Today when I put one in, it felt as though as it was sitting at angle rather than vertical, and also put pressure on my bladder and made me feel the need to urinate.

Could there be a medical issue causing my discomfort using tampons? If so, what might doctors be able to do to improve the situation?

I had my core strength tested recently by an osteopath and he said it was above average, and I also do Pilates, so I think my pelvic floor muscles are reasonably strong (although maybe I'm wrong!).

Thanks in advance for your help.
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It can be due to uterine prolapse.

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am,

Thanks for trusting hcm about your health care.
I can understand your concern here.
I have gone through your hihistory and understand that your pelvic floor muscles are very strong but your symptoms are most likely due to uterine prolapse.
After child birth, it usually occurs due to muscle weakness.
You should consult a Gynaecologist and get yourself examined and pessary is useful in your case or other treatment are also be there.
Hope it
is useful, feel free to ask more questions.
Good luck.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Richa Agarwal 20 minutes later
Many thanks for your reply. How does a pessary work? Does it go inside the vagina?

Would there be any other symptoms of a uterine prolapse?
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is a removable device put indide the vagina.

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am,

Sorry for the delay in my response.
You are most welcome.
Yes, pessary is a removable device put inside the vagina to support the pelvic organs.
It is not a permanent treatment of uterine prolapse.
Other symptoms of prolapse are urinary incontinence,constipation or diarrhoea, something draaging down, decubitus ulcer.
Hope it is useful, feel free to discuss more.
Good luck.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Richa Agarwal

OBGYN