What causes discomfort in the head and ringing in the ears?

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Mon, 3 Oct 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have discomfort with head but not severe pain. I had this almost 2 weeks now. Symptoms are every once in awhile little (4 hours or more) discomfort with throbbing and pressure on side of left head with high pitch constantly ringing. The location specifically is above the ear in the temple area of pressure with warm feeling in head when I lay down . I feel no discomfort in ears (even though once in awhile) it comes very rarely from ear. No stuffiness in front facial area or nose , no sneezing, no double vision, no coughing. I have felt on occasion nausea but I'm thinking it's connected to the medication. I tried the following every 6 hours : 1st week Equate Extra strength: Acetaminophen 500mg x2, 2ND week Excedrin Migraine : Acetaminophen, Aspirin, Caffeine, 250mg x 2(then stopped recently because hard on stomach), then tried Flonase (3 days now ) no change, and now back to with + OMEGA 690mg x 2 added supplement taken with medication . Currently overall condition feels to stay the same with ringing in ears and rare irritating on side head but no increase in pain.
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
recommend that you see a doctor soon

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for your question.
There are a few things about this that are concerning.
First of all whenever discomfort in the head is accompanied with neurologic symptoms like ringing in the ears that is concerning that something is going on in the nervous system.
It is also concerning that the discomfort is always in the same place. Simple headaches tend to move around. Discomfort in the same place with other symptoms may indicate something like a tumor going on in the brain. This does not mean cancer, but there are some benign tumors in the brain that can cause this type of symptoms.
The next concerning aspect is the area. The area over the temple as an artery that sometimes becomes inflamed. This is called temporaral arteritis and can cause pain, heat sensation and tenderness to touch in the temporal area.
Both of these possibilities are serious and would need medical attention.
Please understand that what is going on with you may be something simple like a virus and of no concern. However, there is enough that is concerning in your symptoms that I think you need to see a doctor right away so that they can make sure nothing serious is going on in your case.
Dr. Robinson