What causes discomfort in left ear?

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Thu, 25 Aug 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello ,

I am feeling slight uneasy on my left ear. It is not exactly paining but i can feel that its not something normal . can you please help me on this
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Get the ear drum examined.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. The most common reasons for such discomfort in the ear will be either wax, a mild infection ot Eustachian Tube Dysfunction. Sometimes it can be a referred sensation.

2. Get the ear drum examined first to rule our ear wax buildup or an early infection.

3. If the ear canal is clear, an Impedance Audiometry is recommended.

4. If all the above are normal, this can be a referred sensation from other structures such as the teeth, jaw joint and so on.

5. An anti-allergic, anti inflammatory medication along with steam inhalation will settle most cases of mild discomfort in the ear.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sumit Bhatti 38 minutes later
Hello Sir,

Thank you fo ryour answer to my query.

Can you please let me know the name of the droplets that come in order to remove the wax? And how should they be used ?

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Soliwax/Waxolve.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. Soliwax, Waxolve are some of the many brands of wax dissolving drops available OTC.

2. Use at least 5 drops 5 times a day for 5 days.

3. Ideally , you should get your ears examined first.

Regards.