What causes discomfort around the urethra?

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Specialist

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in Elderly Problems
Question: I've experienced mild discomfort around my urethra for a few months. No problem urinating. It is always present but it is more noticeable during sex. It is only at the last inch or so of my penis and is slowly worsening. I now notice a thickening/hardening of the area.
Answered by Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need to rule out cancer.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking.
I am Dr. Prakash HM and I will be answering your query.
Based on your query, my opinion is as follows:

1. Hardening or thickening at the tip of the penis especially noticed when the skin of the penis is rolled up during sex, indicates possible inflammation/ cancer.
2. Biopsy of the area is necessary, as at this age, any malignancy needs to be ruled out.
3. Close clinical examination (if you can send an image, I can try to opine) by a surgeon and later on biopsy is necessary. At present, malignancy or cancer is my main concern.
4. There appears to be nothing abnormal with the urethra. If there was any infection, there would be hematuria or pain during micturition. Both are absent. Local penis cause needs to be ruled out.

Meet your doctor.

Hope it helps.
Any further queries, here to help again.

Dr. Prakash HM

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad