What causes discomfort and swelling in retromolar pad area after chewing food?

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist

Posted on Thu, 8 Sep 2016 in Dental Health
Question: Hello
Today morning, when I was having breakfast, I had a grain of sugar stuck in the beginning of my retromolar pad. I unknowingly chew it and that area got hurt. It was in the morning. Since then I have been having slight discomfort and a swollen feeling when I am chewing something.

Later I noticed that area is a bit swollen and sore too. It happened very quickly, within few hours. Feeling little pain when I am eating something. I am attaching an image here. The red marked area is the injury/sore area. Kindly let me know what it is and how to get rid of it.
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Inflamed gum flap..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Welcome to HEALTHCARE MAGIC..

I have gone through your query and can understand your concerns..

As per your complain and the image attached it seems that the gum flap behind the second molar tooth is inflamed and it has led to swelling and pain..

There is also a possibility that there is underlying wisdom tooth that is in an erupting stage and gum flap over it has got injured and inflamed..

Nothing to worry you can start gargling with warm saline solution..
You can apply numbing gel like Mucopain gel over the area..
You can take pain reliever like Diclofenac or Acetaminophen..
You can also do cool compresses over the cheek..

Any further questions are welcome..

Regards..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T