What causes discomfort and redness of the eyes while on Amphetamines?

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Mental Health
Question: I have no idea whether this is just me having tactile hallucinations in my eyeballs and nose, from 2 1/2 days sleep deprivation from well over 250-300mgs of amphetamines during this time, or if there is legitimately a facking worm amoeba shit-link that's living in my eyes and nose!! My eyes really bloodshot and uncomfortable. Have been blinking "strangely" all day (blinking faster than normal and in rhythm). It feels like somethings wigglin in my nose too. I pulled my left eyelid on the bottom as far as I could to see if anything was there, and there was like this white lining thing, I don't know how to explain it on here is there any way I can send a picture of it? I'm literally on the verge of pulling out my eyeball so it doesn't infect the main frame of my brains membranes. Help!!!
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Probably occurring due to amphetamines related side effects

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for asking from HCM

I can understand your concern. I have seen the picture and in my opinion there is no worm like thing in your eyes. There is no redness which is common in any worm infestation or foreign body in eyes. If possible send a more clear picture. But even if we assume there is worm in your eyes it would have caused serious unbearable pain in your eyes.

High dose of amphetamines are known you cause psychosis like symptoms. You have history of paranoid symptoms so risk of psychotic symptoms with amphetamines is really high. High dose of amphetamines along with sleep deprivation probably resulted in perceptual disturbances and this could be the reason of worm like sensation in your eyes or nose. Wash the eyes with clean cold water and avoid taking amphetamines for few days. This would help to reduce the symptoms. Remain in cool, calm and dark room. If you have prescription of any benzodiazepine then you can take low dose to reduce your symptoms. Consult a doctor if symptoms persist.

Thanks, hope this helps you please don't hesitate to ask again for more details.