What causes discomfort and pain in lower right abdomen and back?

Dr. Soumya

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 30 Aug 2016 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Discomfort and sometimes pain in my lower right abdomen and back. My primary care MD ordered CT scan with and w/o contrast. results returned as nothing found. The discomfort and sometimes pain has increased in frequency to several times a day and can wake me up when asleep. I am concerned as to what testing should be done before I see my doctor again. And which type of doctor might be the best avenue.
Answered by Dr. Soumya 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
See a neurologist

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concerns about pain in back and abdomen.

This appears to be related to compression of nerve root in your vertebral column at the back.

You need to get MRI scan of the vertebral column to see if there is compression of nerve roots leading to pain.

See a neurologist with this report.

Let me know if you need anymore help.

Follow up: Dr. Soumya 1 hour later
I appreciate your response and now provide more detail as I believe the problem is in my lower right abdomen area because:
symptoms of discomfort started about 1 month ago. there WAS intermittent, now more frequent feelings of pressure, and some of those times I get a few shooting pains. The lower right back just started about 1 week ago so I am thinking it is from whatever is going on in my abdomen.
I have also noticed that when I sit during the day while working, the pressure in my abdomen can come on and be lengthy. The other time is while laying down, flat on my back. Again this is not all the time but throughout the day or night, it will surface.
Yesterday I noticed I will get a sensation, not a pain so much, in my upper right leg.
It seems when I have an upset stomach or need to urinate, the abdomen, lower right, also feels a pressure sensation, sometimes relieved when I urinate, sometimes when i take an antacid.
I know it has to be hard to diagnose something in this manner and appreciate your time. Please advise as I believe there is something going on in my lower abdomen as the root cause yet the CT scan showed nothing.
Answered by Dr. Soumya 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Appendix inflammation

Detailed Answer:

One of the most common reasons for such pain in right lower abdomen as you described is inflammation of appendix.

Appendix is a small part attached to your intestines which if inflamed leads to such epidlsodes of pain. You may need to see a surgeon who will do clinical examination and decide if appendix needs to be operated and removed.

Let me know if you need anymore help.

Follow up: Dr. Soumya 13 hours later
My appendix was removed years ago, and had a total hysterectomy at age 50. I appreciate the attempts and feel my issue is not going to be easy to diagnos
Answered by Dr. Soumya 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Adhesions in abdomen

Detailed Answer:

This pain is likely to be due to adhesions in abdomen after 2 surgeries: appendix removal and hysterectomy.

After repeated surgeries adhesions develop in abdomen between different organs and these cause pain when pull each other.

If pain is more, you can opt for laparoscopic removal of adhesions ( adhesiolysis). Please discuss about adhesions with your surgeon.

Follow up: Dr. Soumya 57 minutes later
Perfect, this gives me a direction. I appreciate your skills and the effort that goes into becoming a physician. We cannot do with our physicians. Have a wonderful day and every day you are blessed with. :)
Answered by Dr. Soumya 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Adhesiolysis might be required

Detailed Answer:

Laparoscopy can be done to check adhesions and remove them by procedure called adhesiolysis.

In future you can directly contact me to ask questions by pasting following link in your browser :

http://bit.ly/askdrsoumya