What causes discomfort and bloating in upper abdomen despite taking Ibuprofen?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 14 Sep 2016 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Hi, I have discomfort and bloating in my upper abdomen when eating or when very hungry. Ibuprofen helps but the discomfort doesn't go away. I do not have constipation. This has been going on for almost a week.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
PPI, Antacid, Upper GI Endoscopy if required.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query, albeit short and specific.
To recapitulate: Female/52 - discomfort and bloating in upper abdomen - when eating - when hungry - Ibuprofen helps but the discomfort does not go away...

As per the history you have provided, this looks to be gastritis and related problems.
I would advise you the following in such a situation:
- Stop Ibuprofen as it may increase your symptoms, affects the gastric mucosa directly.
- Take a PPI like Omeprazole.
- Antacid liquids 15 ml, particularly when you are empty stomach.
- Soft bland diet.
- Small frequent feels.
- Make a list of the foods and beverages that instigate or enhance your problems. Stop them altogether.
- Control of stress and/or anxiety if you have.

Please follow this and see the results, continue these for at least 3 weeks.
If no relief, seek for an appointment for upper GI Endoscopy and further investigations to get a proper diagnosis and a plan for additional treatment.

I hope this answer helps you, please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 6 hours later
Thank you for your response. I will do as advised.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are most welcome.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your appreciation.
You may please rate this answer before closure of the discussion and can certainly contact me on the bellow link in future, whenever you may need me.
http://bit.ly/askdrtchandrakant