• question-icon

What causes discoloration of tip of nose?

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello
At times the tip of my nose turns purply blue and at times it is more cold then the rest of my nose or face. That is how I started noticing the color change, it seemed to not have the circulation the rest of my nose or face had, but now it even happens periodically and does not feel cold. Some one told me it is my low thyroid which I have and can not take medicaine for and someone else told me it is a symptom during menopause. I look forward to your answer. Thanks a million!
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Hanif 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Many reasons may cause it !

Detailed Answer:
I warmly Welcome you here at HCM. It is my pleasure to help you assist in the process of understanding the issue.

Actually there are many causes for the Purple nose or Discoloration of tip of nose. Purple nose is due to breakage of small blood vessels in tip of nose. They can break due to:
high blood pressure.
age related.
early life high blood pressure that wasn't controlled.
Thyroid disease especially goiter.

If there is loss of red blood cells or hemoglobin in blood, it may also lead to purple blue nose tip.
Heavy alcohol drinking, smoking also may cause the same symptoms. Lung disorders like COPD also cause symptoms like this.

Rosacea is also one of the causes for this issue. Maar Rash is another dermatologic reason for purple nose. Lung disorders also cause it.

In such a situation, best way is to go for a thorough examination by the physician. He will go for Thyroid check up and diagnostics too. Other causes and their possibilities can be ruled out on careful physical examination. Management goes accordingly. If felt necessary your physician may also refer you to a dermatologist or a Cardiologist as if a heart is pumping more than its capacity, it may also cause such symptoms. Whatsoever comes back to be the reason, it is very important for you to go with the position that best suits you.

Hope it helps. please feel free to contact me back anytime for further assistance.

Regards!
DR.HANIF
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Muhammad Hanif