What causes discoloration of the tongue while being 24 weeks pregnant?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Tue, 24 Jul 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have a slight discoloration of my tongue. it has an orange tint to it. is this cause for concern? I am 24 weeks pregnant so the hormones are raging. could it just be something like acid reflux. I asked my GP yesterday and she said she had never heard of it. I just don't want to worry about it.
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Taking vitamin C, iron and folic acid

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to HealthcareMagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in the best way possible. First of all, it's not much to worry about what you have been experiencing lately.

Based on the history you have shared, it can be related to stomach issues as you have shared however in absence of obvious signs of acid regurge antacids may not be needed at this stage.

Even if you experience any heartburn or acidity, sucralfate is preferred and safer approach in your case.

Other causes like vitamin C, iron or folate deficiencies should also be ruled out. Even preliminary replacement of these micronutrients like Iron, B complex, vitamin C, and folic acid should be started as it can generally be helpful to meet extra demand for body's extra metabolism during pregnancy.

Other factors like any recent drug intake or recent food containing food colors should be ruled out.

Overall it isn't much of a deeper concern as far now. If it worsens or redness or whitish chalky lessons or ulcers appears get it reviewed by an oral physician.

Wishing you a steady and healthy life ahead. Hope this has answered your query. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 3 hours later
thank u. would u happen to know how much i can take of the vitamin c, folic acid, as well as B I can take in pregnancy.
Brief Answer:
Multivitamin preparations for pregnant ladies are available

Detailed Answer:
Hi!

Multivitamin preparations for pregnancy with appropriate proportion of each vitamin are already available in the market.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj