What causes discoloration of the palate?

Dr. Manmeet Kaur

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 29 Apr 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have noticed in my mouth that the palate is discoloured (yellow). I have small red pin prick dots on my tongue that look like they might bleed,a sore throat slightly and I do have abit of cold. I have been sent for blood tests to rule anything out but waiting to hear back. I have had this a few weeks now. Just wandered if you have any ideas?
Answered by Dr. Manmeet Kaur 1 hour later
Brief Answer: various causes for discoloration tongue and palate Detailed Answer: Hi there, thanks for posting your query at Healthcare magic Since dear you have mentioned that you are all well discoloration of the palate could occur due to 1. Excessive carotene in the body. 2. It may also be the side effect of some drug that you might have taken. e.g. contraceptives , antomalarials , cholesterol lowering drugs, 3. Certain skin disease like pigmented naevus that could be very benign. There are many other diseases that are causative for discoloration such a Peutz-Jeghers syndrome,Addison’s disease, heavy metal pigmentation, Kaposi’s sarcoma, post inflammatory pigmentation, smoker’s melanosis, but they have other features also.Dear you have not mentioned about your smoking habit . It will only help in coming to a diagnosis. Regarding the fragile red tipped tongue it could be due to heating hot food .Red spots behind the tip of tongue indicate asthma or lung infection. This can only be confirmed by the blood tests So dear wait till the blood tests come. Till then relax. If you still have a query I am there to answer.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj