What causes discoloration around the groin area?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014
Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
I have noticed over the last few weeks some areas of discoloration around but not on the groin area.
Posted Sat, 23 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of Fungal Infection

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to healthcaremagic

I am Dr. Kakkar. I have gone through your query and I have understood it. I have also looked at the pictures.

This seems to be a case of fungal infection(Tinea cruris); well defined red, circular patches, limited to the groin region.

I would like to gather more information from you in order to substantiate my diagnosis of Tinea Cruris/Fungal Infection

-Are the patches itchy?Though itching is a subjective symptom and can vary from individual to individual.
-Is there scaling over the patches?

If I was the treating doctor I would have asked you to use a topical antifungal cream e.g clotrimazole 1% cream twice daily for 2-4 weeks.

An oral antifungal e.g fluconazole 150 mg tablet, once every week, for 4 weeks is also advisable.

An OTC antihistamine e.g cetrizine 10 mg once daily would provide you symptomatic relief from itching.

Follow-up: What causes discoloration around the groin area? 5 minutes later
there is no itching or scaling. is the cream available over the counter?

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Fungal Infection

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Yes, clotrimazole 1% is available OTC. Fluconazole is a prescription drug, however.

Follow-up: What causes discoloration around the groin area? 2 minutes later
thank you

Brief Answer:
You are welcome

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query on healthcaremagic

Wish you good health