What causes discharge from breast, lower back pain and blurred vision?

Endocrinologist
Question
I am a woman 50 years old. I am having discharge in my breast and very tendor, severe lower back pain, pain in the groin area and blurred vision what is wrong with me
Posted Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Prolactin

Detailed Answer:
Sorry to note your symptoms.

It is very important you see a doctor in person promptly to get this evaluated.

If the discharge is milky, then the medical term for it is 'Galactorrhea'. It can be caused due to high prolactin levels in the blood. However, it does not directly result in back or groin pain. Vision problems can occur if there is a problem in the pituitary area where prolactin is made.

When I see someone like you in my practice, in addition to a thorough history and physical examination I typically order
CBC
CMP
Prolactin
TSH
Free T4

If my patient does not have menstrual cycles anymore, I tend to order
FSH
LH

Further testing depends on what I find on examination and test results.

If the discharge is not milk-like I refer the individual to a surgeon

What type of pain meds are you on? Sometimes opioid pain killers can elevate the blood prolactin levels