What causes diminished hearing post exposure to loud sounds?

Posted on Thu, 11 Jun 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I did weapons qualification with the Army reserve 5 days ago. I wore ear plugs (allow normal conversation but reduces impulse noise), but still noticed diminished hearing. When using the phone on my left ear it sounds very muffled. My PCP said my ear looks normal, but there is fluid buildup and gave me a 6 day taper steroid. After 3 days there is still no relief. I've used these ear plugs before and didn't have any issues. I was taking Vimovo for tendinitis and my PCP advised me to stop taking that as it has a tendency to cause tinnitus. Wondering is this is temporary or likely to be permanent hearing loss.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get audiological investigations done...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the query

I have gone through the history thoroughly and understood your problem; I'll try my best to help you with this.

Reduced hearing has to be confirmed with audiological investigations. Even though, your doctor claims that there is fluid build-up inside the middle ear, I would still insist you to get the audiological tests done.

Audiological test helps us in understanding the nature and also the type of problem. Usually, upon exposure to loud sounds, the sensitive inner ear nerves could be damaged. This causes reduction in hearing.

Fluid build-up in the middle ear can also reduce the hearing ability. Either of the case, the confirmatory tests are tympanometry and pure tone audiometry.

I would suggest you to request your doctor to order for the above investigations.

Revert back to me once you get the results, so that, I can advise you further regarding this.

Hope I have answered your query; I'll be available for the follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist