What causes dilated pupils after using Naphacon eye drops for itching?
Dilatation of pupil is side effect of Naphacon A.
Welcome to Health care Magic
I am Dr. Dadapeer K, an Ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye.
It seems from the history that your daughter is using Naphacon A eye drops for itching and watering eye.
Naphacon A eye drops contains naphazoline, a decongestant and vasoconstrictor and pheniramine maleate, an antihistaminic which relieves itching.
Naphazoline being an vasoconstrictor causes widening and dilatation of the pupils. Its action lasts for about 6-8 hours. The dilatation of the pupil is caused by the effect of Naphazoline, hence no need to worry as it is a common side effect of the drug. Once the action of the drug subsides the pupil will become normal.
If the dilatation of the pupil is causing problems like glare alternate drugs which will not cause this side effect like olopatadine can be used.
Hope I have answered your question and the information is helpful to you.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes dizziness and constant itching of eyes
- What caused itching and burning sensation in eyes
- Cause of eye dilation
- What causes itching and burning red eyes
- What causes pupils to dilate
- What causes sweating and itching and involuntary shutting of eyes
- What is the cause and treatment of dropping of eyes
- Left eye completely dilated overweight what is causing this
- What causes eye muscle drop
- What causes itching in eyes and nose followed by sneezing