• question-icon

What causes difficulty walking post prostate surgery?

Posted on Tue, 31 May 2016 in Elderly Problems
Question: My husband is 82, good health, active, works. he had prostate surger with an addition surgery to rid his bladder stones. dr. wanted to do all @once. he kept him under 5 hours.
now he cant walk properly, takes a few steps then gets dizzy with a headach that goes away when he sits down he's had MRI & Pet scan, nothingh show mu Thanks XXXXXXX XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Shuba Hariprasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Orthostatic hypotension, spinal anesthesia, electrolyte imbalance

Detailed Answer:
Hello Mrs. XXXXXXX XXXXX
Thank you for your query.
I'm Dr. Shuba Hariprasad and will be helping you with your query today.

I would first like to rule out - epidural anesthesia site leakage, effects of medications, orthostatic hypotension & heart pathology.
Would you please clarify a few things for me?

1)what was the procedure performed.,specifically? (There are different types of prostate surgery) what kind of anesthesia was used? Was an epidural or subarachnoid block used? Why was the surgery necessary? (other than stones)
Any mention of the amount of blood loss during surgery? Any transfusions of blood products?

2)how long has it been since the surgery? Is his difficulty in walking related to the dizziness or does he feel any muscle weakness?

3)how was his immediate post operative period? In terms of walking & if any physiotherapy was required? Any leg swelling?

4)were his electrolytes checked post surgery?

5)was he examined by a physician after the surgery for any electrocardiogram changes?

6)any history of of diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, high cholesterol or any other medical conditions ? Any medications? I know you said he is healthy but I ask to be sure.

An spinal anesthesia may sometimes cause leakage of cerebrospinal fluid that can cause dizziness for the first couple of days which then resolves on proper rest & Hydration.

The same with electrolyte imbalances. These occur due to perioperative intravenous fluid transfusions but more due to the fluids used to wash the genital tract during surgery.

If I were to see him, I would examine him to rule out muscle weakness, vertigo and ortho static hypotension.
I would like to run some blood tests to check for anemia, electrolyte levels and glucose.
An electrocardiogram, and an echocardiogram may also be necessary.
Based on the above results and information I can have a better understanding of the problem.

I would recommend proper Hydration and rest. Changes in position should be gradual and not sudden. I would also recommend the above tests.
Please get back to me with the clarification I requested for so that I may be better equipped to help you

If you do not have any further questions, or would rather see a doctor in person based on the above information, please close this discussion & rate my answer.
I would be happy to help with any further questions you may have.
Wish you both good health

Dr. Shuba Hariprasad

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Shuba Hariprasad 5 hours later
Thank you Dr. My husband will request the answers from his surgeon.
Answered by Dr. Shuba Hariprasad 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Answers awaited

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the follow up.

I shall wait. Please let me know as soon as he knows.

Dr. Shuba Hariprasad
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Dr. Shuba Hariprasad