• question-icon

What causes difficulty walking and stiffness in leg?

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have 2 questions this time.
1. I have difficulty walking because my right leg stiffens up and swells a bit. This is the second time it happens. First time I took an aspro clear and the pain was gone. This was last month. Two days ago the same problem came back and I have taken 2 aspro clear and massaged my leg with Voltaren but the pain is still there. Please advice on some remedy for this.
2. I have been coughing up mucus constantly for quite sometimes now. Depending on the time of the day, sometimes it is yellow, yellowish green and sometimes clear. My doctor gave me some tablets to take and it stops temporarily but starts again. Been off and on like this for a few years now. I also did an xray of my lungs a couple of years ago and I was told I have mucus on my left lung but it is not cancer. I forgot the name of the tablet my doctor gave me and I haven't been to see her for sometimes now. I have limited mobility because of rheumatoid arthritis. Please help.
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Supportive care and diet lifestyle changes.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. Rheumatoid arthritis is very debilitating condition and pain can be unbearable and strictly reduces range of mobility. Due to severe inflammation, bone erosion and even deformities can occur. I am afraid rheumatoid arthritis has no cure. So you will need to continue with the supportive cate and strong enough pain killers and DMARDs ( Disease modifying anti rheumatic drugs).

Physical therapy exercises to aim at reducing range of mobility are helpful. KNow your limits. Dont put your body through alot. Apply heat and cold compresses over the swollen and painful areas for the relief of pain,

Now the coughing up mucus clearing on medications and recurring should be evaluated for both local throat causes, lungs causes and gastric causes. With use of Pain killers and NSAIDs, acid reflux and gastritis are very common and that can cause coughing as well as mucus in it. Some say its a feeling like something is stuck in throat. If so then its the side effect of rheumatoid arthritis medications and needs diet and lifestyle modification for the relief. Also the lungs functions should be evaluated and worked up to rule out some respiratory infection cause for it.

I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan
Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan