What causes difficulty urinating?

Dr. Ashwini Kolur

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: hi. I am having difficulty with urinating. I need to go constantly, but pass very little fluid, and now it has become painfull. I have been to my doctor to check prostate, urinary tract infection, all clear. I am in a fair amount of discomfort continually, becoming un bearable when i pee.and when I do, its a dribble, and very little, and it feels like its not finished. If i massage my groin area vigoursly while i'm peeing I can get a little bit more out, but still unsatisfactory.
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Digital rectal examination to confirm BPH

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for writing here.
Based on the information provided, I feel it might be related to Prostate. It might be benign prostatic hypertrophy.

BPH generally begins after age 30, evolves slowly, and causes symptoms only after age 50.
I would have done digital rectal examination, to confirm the diagnosis.

On confirmation I would have initially tried medical management with drugs such as finasteride and terazosin.
Hope this helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina