What causes difficulty to sleep?

Question
SOMETIMES, ONE OR TWO TIMES PER MONTH, I WILL WAKE UP AND BE ALL AGITATED AND UNABLE TO
GET BACK TO SLEEP VERY UNPLEASANT WHAT TO YOU RECOMMEND
I AM A RETIRED PHARMACIST AND HAVE NEVER ABUSED ANY DRUG
I HAVE USED DIAZEPAM WHEN THIS HAS HAPPENED PERHAPS 10 TIMES PER YEAR
Wed, 30 May 2018 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

Benzodiazepines are contraindicated for people over 65 given risk of falls, delirium, dementia, withdrawal, coma, and death. Furthermore, benzodiazepines alter sleep architecture resulting in an inefficient sleep particularly in older people. Instead, try non-benzodiazepine medications such as melatonin, Ramelteon, or trazodone. Even better is cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia (CBTi).

Dr. Sheppe