What causes difficulty swallowing?

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: i sometimes have difficulty swallowing...it is painful when this happens, it occurs when the food i am eating gets approx level with the distal end of my sternum and causes me to hiccup, drinking something usually helps it to move along. i am 56 2 y.o. F. quit drinkng 6years ago, i continue to
smoke though
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
As below:

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. This area is cannot be visualized directly. The following investigations should be done:
a. A barium swallow study
b. An abdominal ultrasound to rule out a hiatus (sliding) hernia.
c. Chest X-ray
d. A flexible endoscopy if the above are normal.

2. If you can upload the results, further options may be discussed.

If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.