• question-icon

What causes difficulty in walking and turning around?

Posted on Fri, 27 May 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Do I have verdigo having troble walking and turning around |. And balance
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
feeling of spinning or room/environment spinning

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Vertigo is the feeling as though you are moving/spinning or the room/environment is moving/spinning around you.
It does cause a loss of balance.

If this is what you are experiencing then you do have vertigo. This would mean a feeling of yourself or room spinning when you are walking or turning around.

The epley maneuver is used to treat one cause of vertigo , BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo).
It is not used for other types/causes of vertigo.

Your doctor would have examined you and determined that you have this type,this would be the reason that this would have been done.

In BPPV, the episodes last on a few seconds-minutes and occur in certain head positions.

If you remain concern then imaging of the brain such as CT would rule out more serious causes.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
I donot have a spinning motion feeling. Unsteady walk have to shuffle feet to turn around
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
may want to consider a neurologist

Detailed Answer:
HI

Sorry about the late reply

Though vertigo may cause an unsteady feeling because of the spinning, other causes should be ruled out as well.

You may want to consider seeing a neurologist, this is a doctor who specializes in conditions of the nervous system .
He or she would be able to examine you thoroughly , may be able to assess relevant nerves using office equipment and would also request imaging eg Ct if needed.

Your doctor should be able to refer you to one in your area or you can use healthgrades.com to find someone

Please feel free to ask any thing else
Dr. Michelle Gibson James