What causes difficulty in urination when diagnosed with BPH?

Dr. Matthew J. Mangat

Urologist

Posted on Fri, 23 Oct 2015 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: My dad has problem with urination. Earlier when tested, report showed that it was due to BPH. Now, the new report shows prostate is in normal size. But, it says mild pelvicalyceal dilation seen in right kidney and also there is wall thickening in urinary bladder. Also, sediments are seen in bladder. What are these sediments actually? Why he still has difficulty in urination? Will it anytime affect the kidney functioning?
Answered by Dr. Matthew J. Mangat 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
All tests point to BPH.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX and welcome to HCM.
As an Urologist, i must assure you that BPH is very likely in your dad.
The reason i comment like this is, based on the symptoms and reports of your dad.
He has difficulty in urination, according to your question.
The report mentioning thickened bladder wall and sediments.
When your dad passes urine, he must be urinating with a feeling of incomplete emptying of bladder. That's due to urine remaining in the bladder,cause of which should be the prostate gland. It's called residual urine, also seen on scan report.
Sediments form in the residual urine, over a period of time.
The thickening of bladder wall is due to obstruction, which causes him to strain, while urinating. Thickening also develops over a period of time.
Regarding kidney function, over a period of time, if an obstructive, prostate gland is left untreated, it can affect it. It can lead to kidney failure even.
Only one side of kidney being affected on scan report,i can comment, if you send the scan.
You must check his urine routine and culture,blood sugar,creatinine,PSA,and the scan of abdomen with residual urine, and a TRUS (trans rectal ultrasound scan).
A flow rate test, will complete the basic tests for prostate gland obstruction.
A rectal examination of the prostate gland, by a qualified Urologist is essential.
Hope your doubts are cleared. Wish him well.