What causes difficulty in swallowing?
I am 39 years married male. I am 88 Kgs and 5'6". I am having difficulty in swallowing for the past 3 years now. Done twice EGD in September 2011 and this year January 2014. Nothing was significant. Hiatus Hernia was found this time. I had high reflux from the last three years. It was so severe at times that i felt very uncomfortable at throat region. I did these endoscopies in leading institutions of XXXXXXX I live a sedentary lifestyle. Very less excersies. Not much of physical activity. I get stressed/angry easily and this also make me trouble. Doctors advised me that I am having no worried symptoms. They asked me to change my lifestyle and modify my food habits. I was also under Anti-Reflux machines. I work in night. US shift. I sleep at 6am in Morning and wake at around 12Noon. I also work from Home so no transportation worries, office hectic s etc. I feel very uncomfortable because of this swallowing problem. I even did my complete body check-up few days back. All cardio, Blood tests , Ultrasounds, coronary Angiographies, X rays chest , spine . I do have Mild Hepatomegaly and increased trigycerides. I even did fibreoptic Laryngoscopy after consulting ENT in XXXXXXX 2014. It was clear. I even did dental checkup and the mouth was also clear.
These days I am finding difficulty in swallowing saliva. It seems as my muscles are not working very smoothly. I used to smoke 5-7 Cigg but have stopped immensely from this onwards. There is 1-3 cigg/ week now. No drinks. I feel allergic now when I smoke.
Please advise me - why i feel so uncomfortable in throat. I also have cervical spondylosis C3-C6. I want to get rid of these now.
Need more information.
Thanks for posting your query.
I am Dr.R.K and I am pleased to assist you.
I would like to have some more information before I can give my opinion.
1. Is your symptom difficulty in swallowing or feeling something stuck in the throat even after having food?
2. Was an esophageal manometry test done?
Kindly get back to me with these information and I would give my opinion.
Thanks for helping me out. No In-fact the symptoms don't last after having food. it is only at the time when I take the food, chew it and it goes inside pharynx. I use burping to release the food. Burping make me better. It is the only method I get relieved. I voluntarily try burps to relieve myself. There is uneasiness every time now- a days. After my sleep, I feel better, perhaps the muscles are relaxed. As the day progresses, symptoms start to rise.. My first food intake of the day is the most painful. After that it lowers. In Intervals i feel better also but this is for very short period. Probably my sphincters are not working properly. I take good food. There is no dietary/weight loss. As I mentioned earlier, I find uneasiness in swallowing saliva also for the past three month. I do not feel choking sensation, something stuck in the throat, but some uneasiness is always there. GERD is there.
Esophageal manometry test done was not done nor recommended by any physician. No Barium Swallow done.
Esophageal manometry should be done
Feeling better after burping may be a feature of GERD.
But GERD does not cause difficulty in swallowing unless it has led to complications like a stricture.
Since endoscopy did not reveal anything significant, other tests should be done to find the cause of difficulty in swallowing.
I would advise you to get an esophageal manometry done which may give some clues regarding the cause of your symptoms.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
Please advise- What can you predict/guess seeing my symptoms? Is there something serious. If there would have been stricture, it can be seen in endoscopy.
Is esophageal Manometry would give us clues?
Yes esophageal manometry may provide clues
Cricophrayngeal achalasia is possibility. This is a condition in which the upper opening of the esophagus fails to open properly.
Manometry and barium xrays may provide clues for this problem.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes difficulty swallowing
- Nerve problems causing difficulty swallowing
- Can allergies cause difficulty swallowing
- Cause of painless lump in mouth causing difficulty swallowing
- Dystonia cause difficulty swallowing breathing
- Can ataxia cause difficulty swallowing?
- Can amyloidosis cause difficulty swallowing?
- What are the symptoms of difficulty swallowing?
- Drugs that cause difficulty swallowing
- Can sore throat cause difficulty swallowing?
- Will nissen fundoplication help in minimising GERD and LPR symptoms?
- Had a marker for Hep c. Continue taking Lipitor?
- On klavox. Had severe stomach cramping and diarrhoea. What could it be?
- Having tailbone pain. What could be done?
- Having motion problem after taking IBSET tablet. What could be the reason?
- Taking mesalamine for mild ulcerative colitis and elevated ALT. What are...
- Is it safe to remove gall bladder surgically for gall stones?
- Are hemorrhoids linked to poor functioning of liver?
- Pain in lower left side of stomach . What could this be?
- What are the findings from the report?