What causes difficulty in swallowing solid foods?
This needs further investigation.
Thank you for writing back.
1. The most common causes for these symptoms are dryness in the throat due to decreased saliva production, acid reflux, infections (sometimes fungal) and side-effects of current medication.
2. Dysphagia to both solids and liquids needs to be investigated by a Barium swallow study, endoscopy and other imaging modalities (abdomen ultrasound, neck and chest scanning).
3. It is unlikely that a decade old tumour is involved, however this can only be conclusively ruled out after the investigations.
4. At the outset this does seem to be reflux related. Upload these test results for discussing further action.
I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes difficulty swallowing
- Nerve problems causing difficulty swallowing
- Can allergies cause difficulty swallowing
- Dystonia cause difficulty swallowing breathing
- Can ataxia cause difficulty swallowing?
- Difficulty swallowing starch foods
- Can amyloidosis cause difficulty swallowing?
- What are the symptoms of difficulty swallowing?
- Difficulty swallowing food choking
- Drugs that cause difficulty swallowing