What causes difficulty in swallowing food and water?

Dr. Eni

Posted on Tue, 31 Jul 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I notice for few days now - each time I swallow food/water I feel a pain in my chest and it feels like the food/water is going to get stuck....even when I drink fluids I have the same sensation and there is some discomfort/pain
Answered by Dr. Eni 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Due to esophageal inflamation.

Detailed Answer:
Dear patient,

Thank You for posting your question on Health Care Magic.

The difficulty in swallowing is due to an inflammation in the esophag, which is the organ that connect your throat with the stomach.

The inflammation may be cause for different reasons, where the most common is the stomach reflux.

Normally the first step is to perform an esophageal endoscopy with biopsy. This is done in the office with a gastroenterologyst. The doctor will take material from the esophag and will check the type of the inflammation in it and then will prescribe the right treatment ( normally antiviral, antifungal, antiacid, pain relievers are prescribed).

Meanwhile, try to chew well the food before you swallow it and avoid spicy food, acid foods or hard ones.

If you have other questions, please feel free to post them.

Dr. Eni
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T