What causes difficulty in swallowing and vomiting?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2018
Feb 2018

General Surgeon
Question
Yesterday i had vomited badly due to motion sickness and today i feel there is a lump in my throat which does not go even if i swallow. I had rice today but still its der. I feel a little pain while swallowing. Please suggest the causes and treatment.
Posted Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Swelling due to gastric acid.

Detailed Answer:
The vomiting due to motion sickness contains lots of gastric acid. This acid causes trauma to the pharyngeal mucosa to cause swelling. This swelling may give the feeling of a lump.
This in turn can give mild pain while swallowing.

Take PPI or Ranitidine and Domperidone, Antacid gel.

If possible get an Pharyngeal endoscopy done by an ENT see exactly what is the problem. Helps to rule out other causes. Considering your age and history this is more probably be just a swelling.

Follow-up: What causes difficulty in swallowing and vomiting? 15 minutes later
Thanks doctor.

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most welcome

Detailed Answer:
You are most welcome !