What causes difficulty in straightening knee after an injury?

Nephrologist
Question
I have iga nephropathy and am 3 years post renal transplant. I have resently taken up bike cruising as a form of exercise. I really enjoy it but am very accident prone. I wear elbow and knee pads and a helmet but still hurt after a fall. Last night I fell and landed on my knee and immediately had pain both in front just under the knee and on my calf. I can bend my knee fine but I can't straighten it or put weight on it without wanting to scream. I do have a goose egg under my knee. With my lose of bone density and other problems should I go have x rays or an MRI or just rest. I did have a tonsilectomy on July 2 and because of my kidney issues cannot take ibuprophen.
Posted Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Kidney Conditions

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ligament tear

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

The fact that you are able to bend the knee and not able to straighten mean that you might be having either a ligamental tear or tendon injury. However since you are on steroids I strongly suggest that you undergo X ray to see for hairline fracture.

I suggest the following things

1. Give complete rest to the effected leg
2. Brufen in a good painkiller however since you are a transplant patient I recommend either plain acetaminophen or tramadol. The best is acetaminophen ( tylenol) three times a day
3. Apply local analgesic agent like dicolfenac gel or aceclofenac gel
4. Apply local cold packs over the bump
5. Please approach your orthopedician as soon as possible for two things i) To rule out fractures and ligament tear ii) Since you are prone for infections that goose egg bump should not turn out to become an abscess

I hope I was of help, being a nephrologist myself I am so happy to treat a transplant patient from overseas

I wish you a speedy recovery