What causes difficulty in sleeping while on Vyvanse?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Thu, 14 Jun 2018 in Child Health
Question: Yes my nine year old grandson takes Vyvanse 40 mg. He has been taking it sense the 26th of December. He seems to have trouble staying asleep through the night. He usually wakes up between 1-3 am and he goes to bed at 8:30 pm. Should we be concerned?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not concerning

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on Health care magic.

I do not think that it is concerning if one goes to bed at 8.30pm and wakees up between 1 to 3am. It already gives him a sleep of 4.5 to 6.5 hours which can be enough for many individuals.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 21 minutes later
I was told that a child needs at least 8-10 of sleep per day to function properly. Plus it seems as though we risk the chance of him falling asleep in school during the day.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
The medicine is a stimulant

Detailed Answer:
What you say is true. However, Vyvanse (Lisdexamfetamine) is a central nervous system stimulant and therefore can cause decreased sleep. Such stimulants are unlikely to lead to daytime sleepiness.