Owl Image

What causes difficulty in sleeping in an elderly person?

Owl Image
Dr. Suresh Heijebu

Question
I am concerned about my husband because his movements started slowing down quite a bit over the last several months. He's very slow when eating specifically and dressing. He is 57 years old and has always been healthy and vibrant. He is a lawyer and has taken some time off to get his sleeping under control because over the last 2-3 years he has had a harder time sleeping. Our primary doctor has checked him several times with the in office test for Parkinson's and says he's fine but I'm still concerned there is something underlying that we do not know about. Do you have any suggestions?
Fri, 12 Jan 2018 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
PD is to considered after ruling our drug induced causes if any.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Madam

I can certainly understand your concern.

Before considering Parkinson' s disease (PD) as the predominant cause in view of his overall motor slowing ( referred to as bradykinesia in medical terminology) I would like to revise his medication history in detail.

Hence I request you to update his current list of medications and the respective indication of each.

To review the case with your response.

Thank you