• question-icon

What causes difficulty in sleeping in a diabetic?

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: We have my mother in an assisted living facility. in addition to dementia she has sun downers and is becoming a disruption to other residents at the facility.she is not very XXXXXXX uses walker or wheelchair, has total incontinence. Medically she now has full on stage 2 diabetes, not medicated, stage 4 kidney disease and a weak heart. She naps most of the day on and off and then is yelling and at times screaming for someone at night. a mild sleeping pill was tried but she became angry and combative so Dr took her off that and suggested Benadryl at night. Still very disruptive at night. Facility wants us to put a sitter in her room for 8 hrs every night but that is cost prohibitive.
My question is we are considering moving her to a Memory care facility but staff at assisted facility advises against it in that the move may cause more issues and possibly make her turn to the worst. We are not interested in prolonging life but to keep her comfortable. Do you advise or discourage a move under the conditions described
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Visit and shift to a facility with neurologist

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your question and understand your concern.
The patient seems to be having dementia along with uncontrolled diabetes and other medical illness.
Shifting to a center with availability of neurologist will be helpful.
Control of blood sugar, renal functions and additional of drugs for night agitation and sleep disturbances can be helpful.
She requires proper medical care rather than hospice environment.
Most of the symptoms will improve.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Do get back to me for further information.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist