What causes difficulty in passing urine and back pain after a lithotripsy?

Dr. Matthew J. Mangat

Urologist

Posted on Fri, 18 Nov 2016 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: hello, I had lazer cystoscopy to remove an 8mmx3mm stone which was lodged in my ureter.

I had a Stent inserted and it was removed yesterday.
I am now having bouts of strong pain in my lower back and abdominal area. I am also having some difficulty passing urine and I have passed several large blood clots. is this normal?
Answered by Dr. Matthew J. Mangat 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Changes are normal.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX and welcome to HCM.
As an Urologist, I can understand your concern.
After a lithotripsy,back pain is due to spasmodic pain occurring in the ureter.
Blood clots are expelled in the urine, as a procedure trauma results, after a lithotripsy.
Even small stone fragments, may be flushed out in urine.
The stent causes irritation in bladder, leading to lower abdominal discomfort and frequency of urine.
Drink about 3 liters of fluids daily.
Take some anti-spasmodic tablets.
Wish you well.
Dr. Matthew J.Mangat.