What causes difficulty in passing stool despite having a healthy life style?

Posted on Fri, 12 Jun 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi Doc, I hope i have chosen the right speciality. I have issues with digestion. This is going since many many years now and as far as i remember i have suffered from IBS also but now things are fine. The real issue is that i have a healthy diet and i hardly eat from outside but still without any reasons i am not able to pass my stool. I feel it but then i am not able to pass it and still my appetite is just fine. I take salad and curd two time-Lunch & Dinner but it is really messing up with my mental balance. Can you suggest some medications-modern/ayurvedic which could possible help a patient like me? The summary is I eat 100% but i pass not even 15%. Kindly suggest
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 43 hours later
Brief Answer:
Small stools means your digestion is best and bacterial load is least

Detailed Answer:
Hi young man,
Read and tried to understand your points of view.

To recapitulate: young male/25 - issues with digestion - many years - IBS - but now things are fine - Healthy diet - hardly eat from out side - salad and curd two times with lunch and dinner - In spite of this you are not passing even 15 % as stool - this is what is your main issue and is disturbing you mentally - wants some modern or Ayurvedic medications ..

I would like to know a few details :
- Have you done your stool tests recently, if not get this done for 3 consecutive days.
- What is the consistency of stool, soft or hard ?
- How many times do you pass motions per day ?

It is in fact the best news you have:
This indicates that your digestions is at its normal levels.
Most importantly - the bacterial load of your stool is almost negligible. For your information the maximum volume of the stool is made up of bacteria and its byproducts.

If everything else is normal why would you like to take medicines for ?

I hope this answers your query, at least in part. Please answer / give feedback so that we can discuss further.

At the moment, I do not see any point of concern.

Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 4 hours later
Hi Doc, Thanks for your reply and the time. No, I have not done any stool tests and the consistency of stool is usually hard and I pass the motion one time a day. The point is how much I pass per day and that is very low and my belly looks fat. I am 6 feet 3 Inches tall, so I am sure you understand that I cant afford to look fat.

Now you said the maximum volume of the stool is made up of bacteria and its by products. What do you suggest I should eat in my diet so that the volume of stool is satisfactory at least. I say this because I know how I used to pass my stool on normal days. Let me know what should I eat more.

XXXX
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Isabgol

Detailed Answer:
Thank for your feedback, thinking and willingness.
The best one for you 2 teaspoonful Isabgol/psyllium husk in a glass of ''warm'' milk or water whichever you prefer, to be taken at bedtime.
Try this out and your problem will be solved.

By this time yourself must have noticed which foods increase the bulk and which do not; if have noticed add on those more in the foods, like green or red leafy vegetables.

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon