What causes difficulty in moving the fingers after lifting a heavy object?

Dr. Gopal Goel

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 24 Sep 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I lifted a box wrong yesterday at work (corner of box pressed on palm of left hand), and pain shot through all fingers of that hand and all the way down the arm to the elbow. I have been icing it and taking 800mg ibuprofen twice a day. But now my range of motion in my fingers seems to be getting worse.
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be bruise in nerve of tendons.

Detailed Answer:

In my opinion you have either pressed a nerve called median nerve or some tendons in your hand, causing a local bruise. This kind of injury takes a few days to a few weeks to heal completely. In the meantime, you should take a mild anti-inflammatory medicines like Ibuprofen (for about 7 days) and start heating therapy now twice daily. Keep moving your hands do work as far as possible.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Gopal Goel,
Orthopaedic Surgeon

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng