• question-icon

What causes difficulty in measuring BP reading from left arm?

Posted on Wed, 25 May 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Home monitoring of BP after emerg visit 2 days ago in which BP was persistently above 200, eg. 220/105. today, cannot get a reading on the left arm, right arm gives a bp of 190 over 125. why?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows :

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would like to explain that first it is necessary to exclude a measurement artefact leading to absence of a BP reading on the left arm.

To overcome this problem it is necessary to investigate the presence of arterial pulse over the radial artery (located over the lateral part of the wrist).

Also an exact BP measurement equipment should be applied.

If no pulse and blood pressure readings are present, especially if associated symptoms occur (chest or pain, etc.), then you need to reconsult immediately the doctor to exclude a possible aortic or left arm artery disorder.

Hope to have been helpful to you!

Feel free to ask me whenever you need!

Greetings!

Dr. Iliri
Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist