What causes difficulty in falling asleep?

Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Cancer
Question: i can not fall asleep
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Considerations.

Detailed Answer:
hello and thank you for sending the question.

I understand that you are dealing with difficulty falling asleep or insomnia. It looks like you have tried some medication in the form of Ambien. This medication can be particularly effective if taken 20 to 30 minutes prior to falling asleep. Also it is very important that this medication is taken on an empty stomach in order to work more effectively.

also it is important to take a look at your regular schedule. If you take frequent naps during the day this can sometimes influence your ability to fall asleep.

Also if you drink caffeinated beverages during the day you would want to make sure that you stop drinking anything containing caffeine at least 8 to 10 hours prior to when you anticipate going to bed.

in addition it is important that you get regular exercise 20 to 30 minutes per day as this will also improve your body's ability to relax and fall asleep at night.

finally if you continue to have trouble it might be necessary to consider an alternative prescription medication. There are a couple of additional options including Lunesta which may work better than the Ambien for you.

please contact your primary care physician to discuss this particular issue in more detail if it continues to be a problem.

Thank you again for sending your question.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng