• question-icon

What causes difficulty in consuming hot and cold liquids at the same time?

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Recently, I have been having trouble with drinking a cold liquid and then eating a hot/warm meal. After one or two bites, it feels as though my throat clamps up and and I trouble breathing and swallowing. I end up vomiting a bit of what I just ate & after @ 30 to 90 seconds my throat relaxes and my breathing returns to normal and I can finish eating my meal.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Difficult to establish immediate cause: Let's try a few measures!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this difficult consuming hots/cold stuffs at the same time. Reviewing your information, it seems that there is a reaction by the throat with a rapid change in temperature of consumed liquids which results in some sort of the throat closing up. This may be likened to what happen in persons with asthma who would get the throat closing up each time they inhale a substance that they cannot tolerate. I will say, try not to mix both cold and hots substances at the same time to see if this will happen. If this doesn't happen when both are used separately, then a possible rapid change in temperature explains the reaction and you should avoid doing so. This is certainly not the case with many other persons but might be specific to you requiring personal modifications to address it.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be. Above all, thanks for using our services.
Dr. Chobufo Ditah