What causes difficulty in breathing?

Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Hello,
I do get more frequent lately a serious, severe breathing problem, where only a drop of water is going down my throat and my airways get totally blocked. It's like going down the wrong throat, but way more severe. I sound like I have emphysema and get absolutely no air. A friend of mine, who suffers from asthma and occasionally airpockets says it sounds exactly like I had a airpocket in my lungs. I'm very tired, diabetic and a smoker, 53 year old female. I was told when I was young, I have chronic bronchitis, but never had any serious illness in my airways. It scares me though.......... what could that be? One time I couldn't catch my breath for almost a minute and actually peed myself.
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is very important to see a physician for clinical evaluation.

Detailed Answer:
U read your concern carefully.
There are many pathologies manifested with dispnea or difficulty in breathing and in these cases the clinical examination is very important to evaluate the situation.
Than a chest X ray and a spirimetry would be of help to see the structure and the function of the pulmonary system.
To talk about the causes only by this information is very difficult, it may be something serious or probably is only a psychological cause. If it persist during all the day and aggravates at night you should nit delay a clinical visit.
Wish you good health,
Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj