What causes difficulty in breathing while resting?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I have a general difficulty in breathing. it is most noticeable when sedentary. It is noticeable when doing something involving or talking. Its very noticeable when the seat in the car is set too up-right.
I keep feeling the need to take deep breaths every 30-60 seconds. I have had this on and off since I can remember. never consulted a physician as it was never too invasive but I have had 3-4 episodes when I had excessive trouble completing a deep breath.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

* it is not noticeable when doing something involving
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
In my opinion, we should first rule out cardiac and respiratory causes.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
You are having difficulty in breathing at rest, not on the exertion.
This is strange and uncommon symptoms.
But we should first rule out heart and lung related diseases for your symptoms.
So consult doctor and get done
1. Blood pressure monitoring
2. Clinical examination of respiratory system
3. Chest x ray
4. PFT (Pulmonary Function Test)
5. Ecg (electro cardio gram) and 2d echo.
If all these are normal then no need to worry for heart and lung related diseases.
Sometimes undiagnosed stress and anxiety can also cause similar symptoms.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng