• question-icon

What causes difficulty in breathing when diagnosed with anemia?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am experiencing difficulties breathing. In April, I attended a sleep medicine study, die to normal procedures to obtain a updated C PaP machine.

Since the year of 2004, I've been under several specialist care. As a women my health deteriated back in XXXXXXX 2004 I bleed for 30 day continuously, with many types of fleshy blood, similar to after birth substances. I was diagnosed with anemia ( low blood iron).

A blood transfusion was suggested, and I agreed to have it. Sent home with birth control pills a few days after trans fusion.
XXXXXXX 2004, while working, transporting patients to/from medical facilities
I began urinating uncontrollably. I visited a local clinic, and was sent via ambulance to hospital, my vital signs were bad.

Hypertension leading to heart failure occurred, so a catherlization was suggested. One issue after another. Diagnosed as a diabetic, given injection insulin and pill form insulin.

Finally heart surgery took place the year 2009. Since 2004 I have been on
all this medicine and my body is now with drawing all these medicines.
I am always, light headed and dizzy some time Nautilus. I thank I am addicted and about to experience heart failure once again. Can you help me? Should I go to the emergency room or urgent care?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I carefully passed through your question and I understand what you have been going through.

Anyway, lightheadedness and dizziness are not typical signs of heart failure. They could be related to low blood pressure, orthostatic hypotension or chronic anemia.

For this reason, I recommend consulting with your attending physician for a careful physical exam and some tests:

- a resting ECG and a cardiac ultrasound
- NT-pro BNP levels for heart failure
- cardiac enzymes for coronary artery disease
- fasting glucose
- complete blood count for anemia
- kidney and liver function tests
- blood electrolytes for possible imbalance.

A head Up Tilt test may be needed is suspicions of orthostatic hypotension are raised.

Meanwhile, I recommend you to closely monitor your blood pressure values.

I recommend avoiding physical activity, have some rest and take plenty of fluids to stay well hydrated.

If your situation does not improve, I would recommend going to the ER for the above mentioned tests.

Hope to have been helpful!

Wishing good health,

Dr. Iliri
Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist