What causes difficulty in breathing or shortness of breath?

Dr. Jnikolla

Pulmonologist

Posted on Mon, 20 Aug 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: symptoms I almost stopped breathing could not catch breath. Finally able to get albuterol inhaled. took sometime to be able to take a deep breath when I could I rattled for some time.
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
please do the following

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome to 'Ask A Doctor' service.

I can understand your concern.

According to the history, I would recommend you to be seen by a specialist (Pulmonologist) for better evaluation of your lungs.

If you were my patient I would do some examinations for you i.e. a chest X-Ray, a Spirometry test with bronchodilators and an Electrocardiography(ECG). It is very important to do them and to find the exact cause of breathlessness and further to decide about the right treatment.

Please discuss with your doctor for the above and I am sure he/she will guide you further.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr.Jolanda

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee