What causes difficulty in breathing, headache and back pain?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Mon, 23 Oct 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Yesterday, I had a sudden onset of back pain in the upper middle portion of my back, quickly followed by a severe tightening in my chest - like someone had applied a belt around my chest and was pulling it tight. This then caused extreme difficulty breathing and speaking - and was quite painful. I could not find a comfobertable position to eliminate the pain. It lasted 20 minutes and then 'lifted' leaving behind a severe dull headache. This is the third time this has happened - the last time being in Dec 2015. After the first time in July 2015, I had a complete physical workup including bloodwork, chest xrays, ecg, and sonogram - with no definitive results. Any thoughts? I am concerned that after almost 2 years, this has come back.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Related to exaggerated movement of at the joint!

Detailed Answer:

This is referred to lumbago and occurs when you execute a wrong movement or a normal movement beyond the normal limits. Management requires resting and pain medications. In addition, avoid such activities that tend to provoke and aggravate these pains. Leaning forward excessively or lifting heavy weights are often implicated.

I hope this guides and helps. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 25 minutes later
I'm sorry - but this doesn't seem to apply in the least bit. First of all, as I noted, the pain initiated in MID to UPPER back (not my lower back) but was quickly followed by the chest tightening, which was by far the more troubling symptom. It was not preceded by exercise or lifting or wrong movements. I was sitting in a work meeting! You seemed to zero in on the back pain - can you address the more severe symptoms of chest tightening and difficulty breathing?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
One thing remains-Excessive strain/stretch on the muscle!!!

Detailed Answer:

This pain is certainly from the muscles of the back. The sharp pain is followed by a dull sensation that radiates to the front because the back muscles form a band/belt around the back which explains the nature of this pain.

What remains unclear is why the pain and more so at rest but the muscle origin and nature of the pain.

Let me know if you have any further worries or unanswered questions on your mind!