• question-icon

What causes difficulty in bearing weight on leg after playing soccer?

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: While playing soccer last night, I was simply running, unchallenged or harassed, when I felt my left hip give way. It felt like it may have slipped out of joint, momentarily. I couldn't play anymore and I have to be very careful while walking to not aggravate it. Could I have actually dislocated my hip from such benign activity? If so, are there exercises that I can do to strengthen the joint.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be a minor tear.

Detailed Answer:
The feeling of hip giving way and difficulty in properly bearing weight on the leg is suggestive of an injury to the joint or ligaments. It can be a labral tear or muscle tear. A dislocation of hip is less likely.
Rest and mild pain killers and hot compress are the best options till you get an X-ray or MRI scan doen for proper diagnosis. Massage or exercise should be avoided till the tear heals completely. Physiotherapy exercises will help in strengthening the muscles but these should be started only after the tear has healed.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon