• question-icon

What causes difficulty breathing while showering?

Posted on Tue, 31 May 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: when i take a shower and i breathe heavily through my nose the whole shower smells like a septic tank
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Rule out dental problems and GERD

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome.
I have gone through your query.
In the absence of clinic examination, I'll let know the possibilities that you can discuss with your local healthcare provider.
It might be due to dental problem or due to gastroepiploic esophageal reflux disease.(GERD). Other possibility is sinus infection.

As you have mentioned, you do not have any problem with your teeth, still I would recommend you to see dentist for examination as you might have a cavity that you can't see, maybe your guns are swollen because of excessive bacteria hiding near the root or periodontal problems.

Acidity do cause this symptom, in my clinic I would have treated you with capsule omeprazole 20 mg once daily, before breakfast for week. Along with medication I would also would have suggested you to avoid spicy food, alcohol and smoking. It is better to add more vegetables to your diet. Try to avoid lying down immediately after food, walk for 10 to 20 minutes post food. You should be fine with this.

Do you have any sinus related problem? I would also suggest you for steam inhalation with few drops of eucalyptus oil in it at least 2 to 3 times a day for a week. It is also better if you see ENT specialist for examination.

This provisional advice provided by me is based entirely on the input provided to me. I would suggest examination by the doctor.

I hope this suggestion might be of some help to you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Dr. Harish Naik