What causes difficulty breathing, shortness of breath and cough?

Dr. Ashwini Kolur

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Its a respiratory problem. I am experiencing laboured breathing, shortness of breath and cough......it mostly happens when I am lying down....sitting in upright position helps up to some extent..I have to breath extremely hard in other to catch a breath making some sound while inhaling....i get completely drained after 2-3 hard breaths.

i've also observed that late night dinner or drinking water over dinner trigger it mostly....it also happens suddenly when im asleep..

note:- my right nostril is blocked since my birth and i partially breath through it....
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
steam inhalation, nasal decongestant, cough syrup

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Welcome to HCM
I have gone through your query and understand your concern.
I would like to know few more details, like
Do you have cold or runny nose.?
Do you have sinus problem?
Your symptoms are due to nasal block, usually be due to hypertrophy of inferior turbinates. Inferior turbinates are raised areas of flesh on both side of lateral nasal walls. This will give a stuffy feeling in nose and need for constant clearing can be there.

I would have done thorough examination of your nose using rhinoscope, to rule out DNS, terbinate terbinate hypertrophy, nasal polyps.

Presently I would suggest you to follow this measures
Warm salt water gargaling 3 to 4 times a day,
steam inhalation with few drops of eucalyptus oil in it 3 to 4 times a day,
Nasal decongest like octrivin 2 drops in each nostril for 4 to 5 days.
Avoid air-conditioning rooms as much as possible.Avoiding cold food items for few days.
You can take over the counter cough syrup. Keep your head slightly raised, it usually helps.

Kindly follow these measures for week, you should be good.

This provisional advice provided by me is based entirely on the input provided to me. I would suggest examination by the doctor.

I hope this suggestion might be of some help to you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Ashwini Kolur 13 hours later
No I don't have a runny nose..my breathing through nose is not smooth i can feel something blocking my right nostril completely and left one partially ..and i don't know if i have a sinus problem as I haven't visited a doctor yet.....If my breathing problem is due to nasal blockage then inhaling through mouth should help...but its ineffective and the problem persists.
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 25 hours later
Brief Answer:
kindly follow the measures suggested in earlier post, it should be beneficial

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome.
Good to hear from you.

As you have mentioned that there is nasal blockade, your nose need to be examined, so kindly visit ENT specialist.
Meanwhile, follow the measures as suggested in the earlier post and observe for improvement.

I'll be glad to address your further questions.
Hope this helps.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D