question-icon

What causes difficulty breathing during sleep?

Posted on Fri, 20 May 2016
Question: My son is 15 yrs old. It is noticed that during sleeping his breathing is not normal. He inhales normally but exhales fast making noise. usually for us breathing is slow coparetively. When physcian was consulted they said nothing abnormal found. He is also having morning sneezing problem.when we ask him he doesn't ,mention anything.Is anything problem with his lungs?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar (10 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Nasal allergy...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting this query

I have gone through the query thoroughly, understood the problem.

According to the description given by you, I dont see any major issues. But, he could be having allergic issue with enlarged turbinates which could be causing this type of breathing.

I would suggest to you to try using saline nasal spray and steroid nasal spray to reduce the nasal congestion. This could regularize his breathing. Also, encourage him to do steam inhalation before going to bed.

Hope with this measures things will get better. Revert back to me if you are having any further queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist