What causes difficultly in stretching the leg after an abnormal sensation in the calf muscle?

Dr. Gopal Goel

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 11 Sep 2018 in Elderly Problems
Question: I am a male 82 yrs. Bending over a bed and reaching, I heard and felt something in my right calf let go. I have no pain, but the calf muscle seems to be enlarged, and I can't put weight on the leg or stretch the muscle.
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Probably spontaneous rupture of Achilles tendon.

Detailed Answer:

In my opinion. the way you have described, it appears that you have suffered from spontaneous rupture of the Achilles tendon at the heel or partial rupture of the calf muscle. Confirmation of diagnosis can be made on clinical examination and MRI.

Treatment is pain killers and depends on the disability. Apply Ice locally. Surgical treatment generally is not indicated at this age, but casts can be given for a few weeks.

Dr. Gopal Goel,
Orthopaedic Surgeon

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T