What causes difficult breathing and double vision?
Any fever or infection - need to got to ER
I am Dr. Prakash HM and I would like to answer your query.
Myasthenia Gravis, unless it it a crisis (myasthenia crisis) does not cause breathing difficulty.
Crisis usually occurs when there is co-existing infections or other systemic disorders which increases the load on the muscles.
With or without treatment, if he develops any fever or infection, then he should be taken to ER for further management.
If any new medications, other than for myasthenia gravis are being started, you need to look at it seriously, as some medications exacerbate it (eg: antibiotics, cardiac drugs etc.) and could lead to myasthenia crisis
Ask him to avoid excessive physical activity (for his age) and take rest when necessary.
If his symptoms are developing slowly as it has taken 6 weeks, you can take it slowly. (periods of remissions and excesses are going to be there, even with treatment)
Most of the times, it could limit itself to eye muscles even for three years without spreading to other parts. Limp/gait abnormality is not usually seen. It is only weakness, which could improve with rest.
Hope it helps.
Any further queries, happy to help again.
Dr. Prakash HM
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What is the cause of double vision with panic problems
- What causes double vision
- What causes double vision and how is it treated
- What causes occasional double vision
- What causes double vision after a cataract surgery
- What is the cause of double vision after pneumonia
- What causes sudden double vision
- What is the cause and treatment for double vision
- What causes double vision in a 4 year old
- What causes sudden onset of double vision