• question-icon

What causes diarrhoea and nausea?

Posted on Sat, 28 Jun 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I am a 70 year old male, no splien, for the past week having two bouts with nausea and dierehia. A week ago I had a very rare hamburger and spent the night vomiting and diareha. I am wondering salmonella. Should I see a doctor?
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to HCM

Detailed Answer:
It could be some type of enterocolitis and salmonella or food poisoning is the most common cause of it but some other microbes may be considered as well. It is usually self limiting disease and it should subside within 1 week, and usually there is no need for doctor since treatemnt is just resting and plenty of fluids intake to prevent dehydration and easier diet. Spleen removal can be related to pneumoccoal infections or sepsis but it shouldnt cause complciations with enterocolitis. Although,if you have some symptoms such as bloody diarheeas, dehidration, significant fatigue or persistent diarhheas,then you should se doctor. WIsh you good health. Regards
Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon